Thursday, May 6, 2010

This Old Porch...

When I bought my house- I had three conditions:

1) It had to be built before 1935

2) It had to have a basement with the potential to build a darkroom

3) It had to have a front porch

My front porch is easily my favorite room of the house. It is exactly what I had envisioned for as long as I can remember. It's got brick half-walls with concrete slabs- perfect for sitting, dining, leaning, laying, playing, or propping your feet up on. It creates enough of a barrier that you don't feel fully exposed- but it's still open, so you don't feel like you're still indoors. It's in the front- the way that porches should be. The epitome of "community". All of this to create the perfect ambiance for any summer-night occasion.

It's seen parties and picnics. It's seen baby-showers and open-houses. It's held intimate conversations with my sister or my best friend- into the wee hours of the morning. It's heard prayers of joy, sorrow, peace, anxiety and about a million other emotions. It's brought relief after a workout or yardwork. It's seen the tears after my uncle passed away, after a client committed suicide, and after I stubbed my toe on an already-bad-day. It's been my resting place when I'm sick, my study when I worship, and my workshop when I'm feeling creative. It's been a playground for my nieces and a chatroom for my neighbors. The absolute perfect place to watch the storm and, oh, the books that it's read! It's my own personal sanctuary! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment