Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Billy

Every now and then something stops you in your tracks. Makes you think about life. Fills you with compassion. That's what this episode of CBS's "What would you do" was for me last Friday. Take a look. (The 7 minutes is worth it)



I was absolutely gripped by the woman in this clip. And when I looked it up on the internet for this post, I was shocked to realize that it was first aired over a year ago. Not because it's been so long, but because there was so little to be found about it on the internet. I know it's just another reality tv show, but Lindsey Lowen failed her drug test and it flooded the search engines within the hour. William Hung gave a bad audition on American Idol and became a household name overnight. How was it even possible that it required a search to find Linda Hamilton? Had I misheard her name?

And there are plenty of Linda's out there. One of my friends from Brookside recently began a blog about our urban church family. In one entry, she highlighted the following exchange, as witnessed by one of the volunteers:

A homeless man was finishing up his breakfast and was about to leave the dining hall with his bag of leftovers to finish later. A man came to the dining hall late looking for something to eat, but all the food was gone.The homeless man handed his bag of leftovers to this man and said,"Here, you can have this, I've already eaten today."

I love my neighborhood. It is a culture of crime. A culture of fear. A culture of survival. A culture of mutual respect. A culture of kindness. A culture of love. Living here draws me in and humbles me. It inspires me to be a better person. Helps me to stay focused on what's really important in life. We spend so much time trying to determine God's will for our lives. Could it simply be that we're all called to be just a little more like Miss Linda Hamilton?

No comments:

Post a Comment